In Delaware, The Columbus Organization has recruited, hired and trained statewide staff as Community Navigators to serve the residents with intellectual or developmental disabilities and their caregivers.
Families receive monthly contact with person-centered Community Navigators who:
- Are knowledgeable about the individual’s history and changing needs
- Respond promptly for questions and change requests
- Listen to the individuals’ stories, concerns and feelings
- Are strong advocates when requesting increased services from state agencies
- Recognize dignity, worth and rights of loved ones while improving self-determination and empowerment for sustained, positive outcomes
The Columbus Organization Community Navigators are well-trained to identify community supports outside the scope of traditional service centers. They:
- Are actively involved in crisis and triage
- Recognize potential problems and proactively intervene before they escalate
- Provide case management services and are involved in person-centered planning
- Improve the family’s ability to communicate needs to providers
- Access care and services across mental, behavioral, and physical healthcare delivery systems that leads to greater holistic and person-centered care
The Columbus Organization provides these services statewide to individuals under the Lifespan Waiver.
Ms. Kristin Elliot
Delaware Executive Director
Follow our DE LinkedIn Page!